Friday, February 8, 2013

Roaming the Debris


Before the Revolution
Cows would keep the grass nice

Such nice grass
I would romanticize it occasionally
Jump fences
Tenderly place my cheek up against it
Feel like a noble savage
A teenage fiend
My scraggly beard with the earth’s
As though roaming the debris
Searching for the quiet countryside
Calling out
Befriending the free filth and vitality

A funny contrast for the mind
Amongst the blended crashed bankrupt Technicolor

Yet the sun shines pretty well
When you don’t worry about disease
This springy absurd green
That smell of burnt plastic replica hurt
The sneezing rumble in my nose

And sometimes 
When I'm off by myself
Along to fill my canteen, stomach
Along to kill some pang
(I forget how hard those pangs pang!) 
I pretend my life's a film

I think of that last shot before the dark
Before the credits dissolve the threads
In that tumbling tense frightened resolve
When the hero is vulnerable
Lies bare their neck
Discloses their gentle hopeful forgiving path
Everything they've got to the World

It's shaky and mumbled
Yet warm and vital
For we live to say just a few things
Tailored, slowly orchestrated
From the weight of the world 
To pefect their delivery
Getting nearer and near to their source
Just as cows used to keep the grass nice
In that world market of nostalgia
So too we'll keep our words warm

At least this is my thought
Off in the collapsed acidic slimy erased

And I think this, too: 
I’m an old jungle
And some shinny things
A bit ill nourished
A bit cold
Tight and bruised
Some more sleep would suit me

And the course of events
Warms my speech
Despite the fall
That burning of magnificent fields
Where cows would practice their art 
Indeed, revolutions gotta fly
Revolutions gotta come
In this world that needs gentle hands
And gentle words


1 comment:

  1. Tell me, are you the main character in all of your poems? And what kind of "revolution" are you talking about? And when you talk about "cows", I take it you are not actually referring to actual cows. Are you referring to ignorant people? I think your poems are meant to have a lot of depth, but they can be difficult to understand. That's why I like them.

    ReplyDelete