Friday, December 6, 2013

Soap Box

Yesterday morning
I had a Thought
A damn good one
All warm and soft, vital and clear
The product of good sleep, perhaps

To the city I’d take it
To the wharf where the birds and the people feel grand
Where the sun peaks through the stomach
Where the nice parts of the self can breath
A place where we make our way
When we have nowhere to be, no one to please
Not compelled like the rats we often are

This, this is where I will share my Thought
Amongst the sounds and smells of peace
Of rebirth

I dress in my best
Feeling some extra sobriety
Secure composure                                
Evenness in balanced weight
Atop my body
Clothes I’m reluctant to abuse on the regular day
But this no regular day

With lunch tucked away
In the pack over my shoulder
I ride my old mountain bike through the suburb
And as I ride out through nosier streets
Passing endless shops and homes
Passing schools, warehouses, traffic
I carry myself with stolid dignity
Back straight, slow breathed politeness
As though taking center stage in some ritual
As though I am meeting old mentors

The wharf downtown arrives
As does the mighty noise of crowds and cars
I leave my bike unlocked in the rack
If someone needs it that badly
Then they can surely take it

What meets me shortens my stride

Soap boxes
Soap boxes to every person
Thousands and thousands of soap boxes
Of acidic thought sharers
Talking, screaming, humming into the void

Did I come too late?

No comments:

Post a Comment